One method of reducing stress that you may not have heard of before is the Hawaiian practice of Ho’oponopono. Many of us deal with some level of stress on a regular basis. While it is almost impossible to get rid of stress completely from your life, there are many effective ways to reduce it. Too much stress can cause a variety of negative health issues, these include:
- Heart disease
Ho’oponopono originated in Hawaii, and translates directly into English as “correction” or “to make right”. The practice focuses on reconciliation and forgiveness by using an affirmation to clear the mind of any negative thoughts and stress.
The benefits to someone who practices Ho’oponopono regularly are:
- Reduction of stress
- Improvement in physical and mental health
- Improved relationships with others
- Control over emotions
- A happier/more positive life
How Does Ho’oponopono Work?
Ho’ponopono does not require much teaching or practice, yet it is powerful for getting rid of bad memories or feelings. Ho’oponopono is a simple practice that allows you to release negativity that is being held within you. It also sends out the desire for reconciliation into the universe. This is achieved by using just four easy steps. The steps of H’oponopono are:
1. I’m Sorry: In life, it can be very easy to feel like the victim. We are often quick to blame other people or other circumstances for our own negative thoughts. In reality, you are in control of your thoughts. You are responsible for the negative feelings that have manifested inside. It is not always easy to admit that you have allowed your consciousness to introduce those negative thoughts – and that you have believed them. By saying sorry, you are recognizing that you are responsible for the negative thoughts or emotions that you might have. Apologizing to yourself has a powerful healing power and will help you to move on with your life.
2. Forgive Me: Once you have said that you are sorry, forgiveness is the next natural step. Don’t think so much about who you’re asking to forgive you. Instead, focus on the feeling of genuine remorse as you ask for that forgiveness.
3. Thank You: Gratitude has the power to completely change your outlook in life. Thank a friend, thank yourself, thank the universe or God or whoever you want to. The more that you are grateful, the more things you will have to be grateful for. Get into the habit of being more grateful every day.
4. I Love You: There is perhaps nothing more powerful in the world than the power of love. It doesn’t matter who the words are spoken to as long as the feeling behind them is genuine. Love yourself, your body, the air that you breathe, the world around you and all of the people in it. The power of love has the power to heal and banish any negative thoughts and stress from our lives.
Why is Ho’oponopono So Powerful?
I’m sorry. Forgive me. Thank you. I love you.
So, what makes these simple affirmations so powerful?
You will probably agree that the four healing affirmations of Ho’oponopono are all positive things. When you can don’t have to convince yourself of that, and you just naturally “know” it, it is easier to push away negative thoughts and block out stress by filling yourself with love and gratitude.
Making Ho’oponopono a Habit
Because the affirmations of Ho’oponopono are universally accepted, anyone can put them into practice and allow them to change the way that they think and feel. Whether you use the affirmations as a daily reminder to yourself, or you focus on each of the four areas individually in order to rid yourself of negativity, they can make a big difference in your life. Stress will always be there and ignoring it will only make things worse. By recognizing that no other person or situation has control over your thoughts, you can feel more confident in getting rid of any negativity and stress that might be affecting you.
Start by realizing the importance of self, and how your negative connotations toward others or toward external factors could be controlling you more than you think. Once you start looking inward instead of outward, you can start to re-gain control over which thoughts you choose to listen to and which thoughts you choose to ignore. Always remember, the power to clear away stress and negativity starts from within.
5 Clever Hacks to Maximize Your Productivity at Work
No one wants to feel as though they are wasting their time at work. But being productive is not always easy. If you feel like you could have done more at the end of the day, or you don’t know why you still have a pile of work on your desk each day, you might start to feel frustrated and stressed. (more…)
Carl Sagan’s: Pale Blue Dot
One of the first things that I do every morning, is write in my journal. At the top of each page of The 5 Minute Journal there is usually a motivational quote or some words of wisdom. This morning it simply read: YouTube Carl Sagan’s Pale Blue Dot, watch and share. I filled in my goals for the day, and as I had never heard of this video, I opened YouTube and searched for “Pale Blue Dot” If you have never seen this short video, I have put it below. I have also put a transcript of the video below.
How to Find Your Life Purpose
It is one of the biggest questions you can ask yourself in a lifetime: What is my life purpose?
People often use such a question as a sweeping generality, assuming that it is too big of a question to accurately answer. But, that is not necessarily true. In fact, many people can give answers to such a question. Some people might suggest that their purpose is a certain career or lifestyle. Others might say their spouse or children are their purposes. (more…)