The Best Marcus Aurelius Quotes
Are you looking for the very best Marcus Aurelius quotes?
Marcus Aurelius was the emperor of Rome for almost two decades from 161 until his death in 180.
He was one of the most respected Roman emperors, and is best remembered to have ruled Rome with authority, humanity and competence. Marcus Aurelius was known as the last of the Five Good Emperors of Rome.
Marcus Aurelius took many personal notes of his thoughts, ideas and lessons that he learned from Epictetus while emperor.
These were later published and became known as The Meditations. It is considered to be one of the greatest books of all time and regarded by many as the definitive text on self-discipline, humility, personal ethics and self-actualization.
Marcus Aurelius is considered one of the most important Stoic philosophers, his quotes focus on the topics such as self-improvement, inner peace, resilience, and living with purpose.
Marcus Aurelius’s Quotes offer a powerful reminder of the importance of leading a virtuous and meaningful life, and they continue to inspire and guide people of all ages and backgrounds.
Here is a great collection of the very best Marcus Aurelius quotes for you to enjoy.
Marcus Aurelius Quotes
1. “When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive – to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.” — Marcus Aurelius
2. “It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.” — Marcus Aurelius
3. “If it is not right, do not do it, if it is not true, do not say it.” — Marcus Aurelius
4. “Our life is what our thoughts make it.” — Marcus Aurelius
5. “A person’s worth is measured by the worth of what he values.” — Marcus Aurelius
6. “He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.” — Marcus Aurelius
7. “Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking.” — Marcus Aurelius
8 of 40 Marcus Aurelius Quotes
“Dig deep within yourself, for there is a fountain of goodness ever ready to flow if you will keep digging.” — Marcus Aurelius
9. “The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts.” — Marcus Aurelius
10. “The greatest thing by far is to be a master of metaphor.” — Marcus Aurelius
11. “Every day provides its own gifts.” — Marcus Aurelius
12. “Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” — Marcus Aurelius
13. “Do every act of your life as if it were your last.” — Marcus Aurelius
14. “Look back over the past, with its changing empires that rose and fell, and you can foresee the future too.” — Marcus Aurelius
15. “Remember that very little is needed to make a happy life.” — Marcus Aurelius
16 of 40 Marcus Aurelius Quotes
“A man should fear never beginning to live.” — Marcus Aurelius
17. “Adapt yourself to the life you have been given; and truly love the people with whom destiny has surrounded you.” — Marcus Aurelius
18. “The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts.” — Marcus Aurelius
19. “Be tolerant with others and strict with yourself.” — Marcus Aurelius
20. “Do not act as if you were going to live ten thousand years. Death hangs over you. While you live, while it is in your power, be good.” — Marcus Aurelius
21. “What we do now echos in eternity.” — Marcus Aurelius
22. “Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.” — Marcus Aurelius
23. “A man’s worth is no greater than his ambitions.” — Marcus Aurelius
24 of 40 Best Marcus Aurelius Quotes
“The best revenge is not to be like your enemy.” — Marcus Aurelius
25. “Do not waste the remainder of your life in thoughts about others, when you do not refer your thoughts to some object of inquiry.” — Marcus Aurelius
Here are some more great Marcus Aurelius Quotes:
26. “The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.” — Marcus Aurelius
27. “When you are offended at any man’s fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger.” — Marcus Aurelius
28. “The only wealth which you will keep forever is the wealth you have given away.” — Marcus Aurelius
29. “Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.” — Marcus Aurelius
30 of 40 Timeless Marcus Aurelius Quotes
“The time is at hand when you will have forgotten everything; and the time is at hand when all will have forgotten you. Always reflect that soon you will be no one, and nowhere.” — Marcus Aurelius
31. “You have power over your mind – not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.” — Marcus Aurelius
32. “If someone is able to show me that what I think or do is not right, I will happily change, for I seek the truth, by which no one was ever truly harmed. It is the person who continues in his self-deception and ignorance who is harmed.” — Marcus Aurelius
33. “The mind that is anxious about future events is miserable.” — Marcus Aurelius
34. “The key is to keep company only with people who uplift you, whose presence calls forth your best.” — Marcus Aurelius
35. “A person’s worth is measured by the worth of what he values” — Marcus Aurelius
36. “Every man’s life lies within the present; for the past is spent and done with, and the future is uncertain.” — Marcus Aurelius
37. “Give yourself a gift, the present moment.” — Marcus Aurelius
38. “Let no act be done without a purpose, nor otherwise than according to the perfect principles of art.” — Marcus Aurelius
39. “Every living organism is fulfilled when it follows the right path for its own nature.” — Marcus Aurelius
40. “The best answer to anger is silence.” — Marcus Aurelius
The wonderful Marcus Aurelius Quotes are a great testament to the wisdom and insight of one of history’s greatest thinkers.
His words remind us of the importance of living in the present, of being mindful of our thoughts and actions, and of striving to be our best selves.
They encourage us to find strength in the face of adversity, to be kind to others, and to live with purpose and integrity.
Marcus Aurelius’s philosophy is as relevant today as it was centuries ago, and his quotes continue to inspire and guide us on our journey through life.
These Marcus Aurelius Quotes also act as a reminder to be true to yourself and to strive for inner peace, happiness and fulfillment.