21 Famous Philosophical Quotes By Plato
I really think that you will enjoy this wonderful collection of Plato Quotes. The Ancient Greek Philosopher Plato was a writer, speaker and teacher. Plato was born in Athens, Greece in 428/427 BC.
Plato came from a distinguished family: his father’s side claimed descent from the god Poseidon. He was a student of the great philosopher Socrates, and Plato himself was a teacher to Aristotle.
Plato founded the Academy in Athens, in the 380’s, this was the ancestor of the modern day university (hence the English term academic); The Academy was a wonderful place of research and learning, and it attracted many men of outstanding ability and wisdom of the time.
I hope that you will enjoy the timeless wisdom contained in following wonderful collection of Plato quotes.
Famous Philosophical Quotes By Plato
1. “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” – Plato
2. “The beginning is the most important part of the work.” – Plato
3. “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” – Plato
4. “Knowledge is the food of the soul.” – Plato
5. “Human behavior flows from three main sources; desire, emotion, and knowledge.” – Plato
6. “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” – Plato
7. “Good actions give strength to ourselves and inspire good actions in others.” – Plato
8. “Thinking – the talking of the soul with itself.” – Plato
9. “Let your children’s lessons take the form of play. You will learn more about their natural abilities that way.” – Plato
10. “Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.” – Plato
11. “Love is the joy of the good, the wonder of the wise, the amazement of the Gods.” – Plato
12. “Books give a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything.” – Plato
13. “We do not learn, and what we call learning is only a process of recollection.” – Plato
14. “The object of education is to teach us to love beauty.” – Plato
15. “The direction in which education starts a man will determine his future in life.” – Plato
16. “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” – Plato
17. “We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.” – Plato
18. “The measure of a man is what he does with power.” – Plato
19. “The key is not to live but to live well.” – Plato
20. “He who is not a good servant will not be a good master.” – Plato
21. “Courage is knowing what not to fear.” – Plato
Plato’s timeless words of wisdom continue to resonate with us strongly today, serving as a guiding light in our pursuit of knowledge, truth, and the ideal society.
His profound insights on philosophy, education, and human nature remind us of the importance of critical thinking, self-reflection, and the constant search for wisdom.
These Plato Quotes inspire us to question, to explore, and to strive for a better understanding of ourselves and the world around us.
As we delve into his quotes, we uncover not only a rich philosophical heritage but also a profound call to action, inviting us to engage in the ongoing quest for truth, justice, and the pursuit of a just and harmonious society.
Check out the following wonderful quotes:
30 Aristotle Quotes on Love, Life and Education
30 Powerful Quotes From Socrates To make You Think