Are you looking for the best Aristotle quotes? Aristotle was a Greek philosopher, scientist and teacher to Alexander the Great who lived from 384BC – 322BC. I have put together for you this wonderful collection of 30 of Aristotle’s most famous quotes.
Aristotle’s words of wisdom have really survived the test of time. His quotes on education, life and love remain both powerful and true to this day.
Take a few moments and cast your imagination back to ancient Greece and enjoy these quotes by Aristotle, who is one of the best philosophers the world has ever known.
You may also enjoy our article on:
Aristotle Quotes on Love, Life and Education
1. The aim of the wise is not to secure pleasure, but to avoid pain. – Aristotle
2. Democracy arose from men’s thinking that if they are equal in any respect, they are equal absolutely. – Aristotle
3. First, have a definite, clear practical ideal; a goal, an objective. Second, have the necessary means to achieve your ends; wisdom, money, materials, and methods. Third, adjust all your means to that end. – Aristotle
4. Happiness depends upon ourselves. – Aristotle
5. It is well to be up before daybreak, for such habits contribute to health, wealth, and wisdom. – Aristotle
6. My best friend is the man who in wishing me well, wishes it for my sake. – Aristotle
7. In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous. – Aristotle
8. Dignity does not consist in possessing honors, but in deserving them. – Aristotle
9. For what is the best choice, for each individual is the highest it is possible for him to achieve. – Aristotle
10. It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light. – Aristotle
11. The energy of the mind is the essence of life. – Aristotle
12. All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsions, habit, reason, passion, desire. – Aristotle
13. Happiness is a state of activity. – Aristotle
14. It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. – Aristotle
15. There is no great genius without a mixture of madness. – Aristotle
16. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. – Aristotle
17. Character is that which reveals moral purpose, exposing the class of things a man chooses or avoids. – Aristotle
18. The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet. – Aristotle
19. Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all. – Aristotle
20 of 30 Aristotle Quotes
Good habits formed at youth make all the difference. – Aristotle
21. Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work. – Aristotle
22. Friendship is essentially a partnership. – Aristotle
23. Anyone can become angry – that is easy. But to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose, and in the right way – this is not easy. – Aristotle
24. Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom. – Aristotle
25. Hope is a waking dream. – Aristotle
26. Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies. – Aristotle
27. Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow-ripening fruit. – Aristotle
28. I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self. – Aristotle
29. It is easy to perform a good action, but not easy to acquire a settled habit of performing such actions. – Aristotle
30. Those that know, do. Those that understand, teach. – Aristotle
I hope that you enjoyed this collection of Aristotle Quotes.
Aristotle’s quotes still continue to be relevant and insightful today, providing wisdom and guidance on a wide range of topics, from ethics and politics to science and logic.
Aristotle’s emphasis on reason, virtue, and the pursuit of knowledge continues to inspire and influence generations of thinkers and scholars.
Whether you are a student of philosophy or someone simply seeking to live a more meaningful and fulfilling life, Aristotle’s Quotes and timeless wisdom offer valuable insights and perspectives.