I hope that you will really enjoy this great collection of Carl Sagan quotes.
Carl Sagan was an American astronomer, astrophysicist, author and researcher. He was also known as “the astronomer of the people.”
When Carl Sagan was four, his parents took him to the 1939 New York World’s Fair. This became a turning point in his life and young Carl developed an early interest in science, space and the stars.
His parents encouraged his growing interest in science by gifting him chemistry sets and books.
Carl Sagan made crucial contributions in popularizing astronomy to the public. He authored more than 20 books about space and the universe.
He won a Pulitzer Prize for his work. His TV series Cosmos: A Personal Voyage still remains one of the most-watched shows in television history.
I highly recommend that you watch his famous short video called Pale Blue Dot.
1. “Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.” ― Carl Sagan
2. “Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.” ― Carl Sagan
3. “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies was made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of star stuff.” ― Carl Sagan
4. “Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” ― Carl Sagan
5. “Look again at that dot. That’s here. That’s home. That’s us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives.” ― Carl Sagan
6. “Books permit us to voyage through time, to tap the wisdom of our ancestors.” ― Carl Sagan
7. “For all our failings, despite our limitations and fallibilities, we humans are capable of greatness.” ― Carl Sagan
8. “Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.” ― Carl Sagan
9. “We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.” ― Carl Sagan
10. “We are privileged to live in, and if we are lucky to influence, one of the most critical epochs in the history of the human species.” ― Carl Sagan
11. “I don’t want to believe. I want to know.” ― Carl Sagan
12. “The universe is a pretty big place. If it’s just us, seems like an awful waste of space.” ― Carl Sagan
13. “The nature of life on Earth and the search for life elsewhere are two sides of the same question — the search for who we are.” ― Carl Sagan
14. “The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together.” ― Carl Sagan
Carl Sagan Quotes
15. “Preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we’ve ever known.” ― Carl Sagan
16. “If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.” ― Carl Sagan
17. “If we continue to accumulate only power and not wisdom, we will surely destroy ourselves.” ― Carl Sagan
18. “You have to know the past to understand the present.” ― Carl Sagan
19. “One glance at a book and you hear the voice of another person, perhaps someone dead for 1,000 years. To read is to voyage through time.” ― Carl Sagan
20. “Science is an ongoing process. It never ends. There is no single ultimate truth to be achieved, after which all the scientists can retire.” ― Carl Sagan
21. “Personally, I would be delighted if there were a life after death, especially if it permitted me to continue to learn about this world and others, if it gave me a chance to discover how history turns out.” ― Carl Sagan
22. “Our passion for learning … is our tool for survival.” ― Carl Sagan
23. “The brain is like a muscle. When it is in use we feel very good. Understanding is joyous.” ― Carl Sagan
24. “We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.” ― Carl Sagan
25. “I am often amazed at how much more capability and enthusiasm for science there is among elementary school youngsters than among college students.” ― Carl Sagan
I hope that the wisdom contained within these Carl Sagan Quotes above will help you think about the universe and your place within it.
Carl Sagan invites us to reflect about the mysteries of existence, embrace the beauty of science, and to develop a deep sense of wonder.
Carl Sagan’s legacy inspires us to seek knowledge, foster curiosity, and cherish the delicate blue dot that we call home.