If you are looking for a wonderful collection of Alan Watts quotes, I really think that you are going to enjoy this post. Alan Watts was a prolific author, speaker and philosopher. He was one of the first people to interpret Eastern wisdom and make it accessible for a Western audience.
Alan Watts did significant research in Zen Buddhism and the fundamental beliefs and practices of religions and philosophies of India and East Asia.
Alan Watts wrote over 25 books and is best known for his bestselling classic, The Way to Zen. He has inspired millions of people with his knowledge, humour and thought-provoking views of the life.
I highly recommend searching for Alan Watts on YouTube. Many of his videos have been watched millions of times. (I have added one of his most popular videos to the bottom of this page)
I hope that you will enjoy this thought provoking collection of Alan Watts Quotes that I have have selected for you.
1. The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance. ― Alan Watts
2. I’ll tell you what hermits realize. If you go off into a far, far forest and get very quiet, you’ll come to understand that you’re connected with everything. ― Alan Watts
3. To live, and to love, you have to take risks. There will be disappointments and failures and disasters as a result of taking these risks. But in the long run it will work out. ― Alan Watts
4. Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations. ― Alan Watts
5. People sometimes fail to live because they are always preparing to live. ― Alan Watts
6. The meaning of life is just to be alive. It is so plain and so obvious and so simple. And yet, everybody rushes around in a great panic as if it were necessary to achieve something beyond themselves. ― Alan Watts
7. Muddy water is best cleared by leaving it alone. ― Alan Watts
8. A scholar tries to learn something everyday; a student of Buddhism tries to unlearn something daily. ― Alan Watts
9. No valid plans for the future can be made by those who have no capacity for living now. ― Alan Watts
10. We seldom realize, for example, that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society. ― Alan Watts
11. Just as true humor is laughter at oneself, true humanity is knowledge of oneself. ― Alan Watts
12. Tomorrow and plans for tomorrow can have no significance at all unless you are in full contact with the reality of the present. ― Alan Watts
13. If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you’ll spend your life completely wasting your time. You’ll be doing things you don’t like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don’t like doing. ― Alan Watts
14. We see what we believe rather than what we see. ― Alan Watts
15. Problems that remain persistently insoluble should always be suspected as questions asked in the wrong way. ― Alan Watts
16. No one is more dangerously insane than one who is sane all the time: he is like a steel bridge without flexibility, and the order of his life is rigid and brittle. ― Alan Watts
17. The only Zen you’ll find on mountain tops is the Zen you bring up there with you. ― Alan Watts
18. To have faith is to trust yourself to the water. When you swim you don’t grab hold of the water, because if you do you will sink and drown. Instead you relax, and float. ― Alan Watts
19. I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is. ― Alan Watts
20. Trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth. ― Alan Watts
21. This is the real secret of life — to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play. ― Alan Watts
22. You are a function of what the whole universe is doing in the same way that a wave is a function of what the whole ocean is doing. ― Alan Watts
23. Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way. ― Alan Watts
24. Stay in the center, and you will be ready to move in any direction. ― Alan Watts
25. Waking up to who you are requires letting go of who you imagine yourself to be. ― Alan Watts
This wonderful collection of Alan Watts quotes offer a unique perspective on the nature of reality and the human experience.
His teachings on Buddhism, Taoism, and the nature of consciousness have inspired countless individuals to find a deeper understanding of themselves and the world around them.
Whether you are seeking information on the meaning of life, or you are simply looking for a new way to approach your daily experiences, Alan Watts’ quotes are sure to provide a thought-provoking and enlightening perspective.
His ideas continue to be a wonderful source of inspiration for many and will continue to do so for years to come.