Here is a wonderful collection Epictetus Quotes that you are really going to enjoy.
The main points of his philosophy were documented by his pupil and historian Arrian, who’s work led to the publishing of The Discourses of Epictetus – A major source of the present-day understanding of Stoic philosophy.
Epictetus is considered one of the most influential Stoic philosophers.
His teachings focused on the importance of self-discipline, personal responsibility, and living a virtuous life.
Epictetus believed that true happiness comes from within, and that external events are beyond our control.
His ideas have had a lasting impact on philosophy and continue to inspire people around the world today.
Here are some of the Greatest Epictetus Quotes which perfectly sum up his philosophy of life.
1. “No man is free who is not master of himself.” – Epictetus
2. “If you are in pain, you will find fortitude. If you hear unpleasant language, you will find patience.” ― Epictetus
3. “Only the educated are free.” – Epictetus
4. “The essence of philosophy is that a man should live so that his happiness depends as little as possible from external causes.” – Epictetus
5. “First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.” – Epictetus
6. “Be careful whom you associate with. It is human to imitate the habits of those with whom we interact. We inadvertently adopt their interests, their opinions, their values, and their habit of interpreting events.” ― Epictetus
7. “It’s not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters.” – Epictetus
8. “He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.” – Epictetus
9. “Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.” – Epictetus
10. “Let silence be your general rule; or say only what is necessary and in few words.” – Epictetus
11. “Do not tie a ship to a single anchor, nor life to a single hope.” – Epictetus
12. “In prosperity it is very easy to find a friend; but in adversity it is the most difficult of all things.” – Epictetus
13. “The key is to keep company only with people who uplift you, whose presence calls forth your best.” – Epictetus
14. “A man should so live that his happiness shall depend as little as possible on external things.” – Epictetus
15. “It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows.” – Epictetus
16. “There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power or our will.” – Epictetus
17. “Wealth consists not in having great possessions, but in having few wants.” – Epictetus
18. “When someone is properly grounded in life, they should not have to look outside themselves for approval.” – Epictetus
19. “First learn the meaning of what you say, and then speak.” – Epictetus
Greatest Epictetus Quotes
20. “You are not your body and hair-style, but your capacity for choosing well. If your choices are beautiful, so too will you be.” ― Epictetus
21. “Devote the rest of your life to making progress.” ― Epictetus
22. “Don’t seek to have events happen as you wish, but wish them to happen as they do happen, and all will be well with you.” ― Epictetus
23. “Seek not the good in external things; seek it in yourselves.” ― Epictetus
24. “Suffering arises from trying to control what is uncontrollable, or from neglecting what is within our power.” ― Epictetus
25. “No matter what happens, it is within my power to turn it to my advantage.” ― Epictetus
26. “Keep your attention focused entirely on what is truly your own concern, and be clear that what belongs to others is their business and none of yours.” ― Epictetus
27. “Don’t explain your philosophy. Embody it.” ― Epictetus
28. “When you are offended at any man’s fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger.” ― Epictetus
29. “He who laughs at himself never runs out of things to laugh at.” ― Epictetus
Famous Epictetus Quotes
30. “God gave man two ears, but only one mouth, that he might hear twice as much as he speaks.” – Epictetus
31. “Circumstances don’t make the man, they only reveal him to himself.” ― Epictetus
32. “Freedom is the only worthy goal in life. It is won by disregarding things that lie beyond our control.” ― Epictetus
33. “If you would be a reader, read; if a writer, write.” – Epictetus
34. “Attach yourself to what is spiritually superior, regardless of what other people think or do. Hold to your true aspirations no matter what is going on around you.” ― Epictetus
35. “It is not death or pain that is to be feared, but the fear of pain or death.” ― Epictetus
36. “Small-minded people blame others. Average people blame themselves. The wise see all blame as foolishness.” ― Epictetus
37. “People are not disturbed by things, but by the views they take of them.” ― Epictetus
38. “Man is not worried by real problems so much as by his imagined anxieties about real problems.” ― Epictetus
39. “Events do not just happen, but arrive by appointment.” – Epictetus
40. “The true man is revealed in difficult times.” ― Epictetus
The above collection of Epictetus Quotes on stoicism and the power of our thoughts, highlights the importance of how our perspective and attitude have in shaping our experiences and our life.
These Epictetus quotes remind us to focus on what is within our control and to strive to live a more virtuous and fulfilling life.
Whether you are facing challenges in life or you are simply seeking inspiration, the above Epictetus Quotes offer timeless guidance and wisdom.
If you enjoyed this great collection of Epictetus Quotes, you should read: