75 Oscar Wilde Quotes That Will Make You Smile
I think that you will really enjoy this collection of the very best Oscar Wilde Quotes.
Oscar Wilde (1854-1900) was an Irish playwright, poet and novelist who was considered as one of the greatest literary figures of the late Victorian era.
Oscar Wilde was born in Dublin and educated at Trinity College and Magdalen College, Oxford, where he became known for his sharp wit, humour and flamboyant personality.
After graduation, Oscar Wilde moved to London and began a successful career as a writer and socialite.
He is famously known for writing the novel ‘The Picture of Dorian Gray’ and the play ‘The Importance of Being Ernest.
Oscar Wilde is best known for his wit, charm and his humorous outlook on life.
Oscar Wilde Quotes That Will Make You Smile
1. You can never be overdressed or overeducated. ― Oscar Wilde
2. What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. ― Oscar Wilde
3. I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best. ― Oscar Wilde
4. I am not young enough to know everything. ― Oscar Wilde
5. Experience is merely the name men give to their mistakes. ― Oscar Wilde
6. To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. ― Oscar Wilde
7. Life is too important to be taken seriously. ― Oscar Wilde
8. Never love anyone who treats you like you’re ordinary. ― Oscar Wilde
9. Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination. ― Oscar Wilde
10 of 75 The Best Oscar Wilde Quotes on Love and Life.
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much. ― Oscar Wilde
11. We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. ― Oscar Wilde
12. There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about. ― Oscar Wilde
13. We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. ― Oscar Wilde
14. Everything in moderation, including moderation. ― Oscar Wilde
15. Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months. ― Oscar Wilde
16. The old believe everything; the middle-aged suspect everything; the young know everything. ― Oscar Wilde
17. Live! Live the wonderful life that is in you! Let nothing be lost upon you. Be always searching for new sensations. Be afraid of nothing. ― Oscar Wilde
18. Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. ― Oscar Wilde
19. The truth is rarely pure and never simple. ― Oscar Wilde
20 of 75 Famous Words of Wisdom from Oscar Wilde.
I can resist everything except temptation. ― Oscar Wilde
21. To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance. ― Oscar Wilde
22. A man who does not think for himself does not think at all. ― Oscar Wilde
23. When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. ― Oscar Wilde
24. I have nothing to declare except my genius. ― Oscar Wilde
25. To lose one parent may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness. ― Oscar Wilde
26. Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about. ― Oscar Wilde
27. Success is a science; if you have the conditions, you get the result. ― Oscar Wilde
28. There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it. ― Oscar Wilde
29. The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future. ― Oscar Wilde
30 of 75 The Satirical and Sarcastic Quotes of Oscar Wilde.
Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong. ― Oscar Wilde
31. I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train. ― Oscar Wilde
32. There are only two kinds of people who are really fascinating – people who know absolutely everything, and people who know absolutely nothing. ― Oscar Wilde
33. I am so clever that sometimes I don’t understand a single word of what I am saying. ― Oscar Wilde
34. The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use to oneself. ― Oscar Wilde
35. If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all. ― Oscar Wilde
36. The very essence of romance is uncertainty. ― Oscar Wilde
37. As long as a woman can look ten years younger than her own daughter, she is perfectly satisfied. ― Oscar Wilde
38. The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible. ― Oscar Wilde
39. My own business always bores me to death; I prefer other people’s. ― Oscar Wilde
40 of 75 Wonderful Oscar Wilde Quotes.
I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their good intellects. ― Oscar Wilde
41. A bore is someone who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company. ― Oscar Wilde
42. I am the only person in the world I should like to know thoroughly. ― Oscar Wilde
43. Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you. ― Oscar Wilde
44. Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught. ― Oscar Wilde
45. Memory… is the diary that we all carry about with us. ― Oscar Wilde
46. Life is never fair, and perhaps it is a good thing for most of us that it is not. ― Oscar Wilde
47. The public is wonderfully tolerant. It forgives everything except genius. ― Oscar Wilde
48. One should always play fairly when one has the winning cards. ― Oscar Wilde
49. The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast. ― Oscar Wilde
50 of 75 Oscar Wilde Quotations
A pessimist is somebody who complains about the noise when opportunity knocks. ― Oscar Wilde
51. Women are made to be loved, not understood. ― Oscar Wilde
52. No man is rich enough to buy back his past. ― Oscar Wilde
53. Everything popular is wrong. ― Oscar Wilde
54. A man’s face is his autobiography. A woman’s face is her work of fiction. ― Oscar Wilde
55. The man who says his wife can’t take a joke, forgets that she took him. ― Oscar Wilde
56. To do nothing at all is the most difficult thing in the world. the most difficult and the most intellectual. ― Oscar Wilde
57. It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious. ― Oscar Wilde
58. A good friend will always stab you in the front. ― Oscar Wilde
59. Morality is simply the attitude we adopt towards people whom we personally dislike. ― Oscar Wilde
60 of 75 Best Oscar Wilde Quotes
I like men who have a future and women who have a past. ― Oscar Wilde
61. Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. ― Oscar Wilde
62. Hear no Evil, Speak No Evil – and you’ll never be invited to a party. ― Oscar Wilde
63. Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both. ― Oscar Wilde
64. A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ― Oscar Wilde
65. Who, being loved, is poor? ― Oscar Wilde
66. How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being? ― Oscar Wilde
67. But beauty, real beauty, ends where an intellectual expression begins. Intellect is in itself a mode of exaggeration, and destroys the harmony of any face. ― Oscar Wilde
68. I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability. ― Oscar Wilde
69. I never approve, or disapprove, of anything now. It is an absurd attitude to take towards life. We are not sent into the world to air our moral prejudices. ― Oscar Wilde
70. No woman should ever be quite accurate about her age. ― Oscar Wilde
71. I love acting. It is so much more real than life. ― Oscar Wilde
72. It takes a great deal of courage to see the world in all its tainted glory, and still to love it. ― Oscar Wilde
73. With freedom, flowers, books, and the moon, who could not be perfectly happy? ― Oscar Wilde
74. There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about. ― Oscar Wilde
75. If I am occasionally a little over-dressed, I make up for it by being always immensely over-educated. ― Oscar Wilde
I really hope that you enjoyed reading this wonderful collection of Oscar Wilde Quotes.
Oscar Wilde’s humour and wisdom have made his quotes enduring and popular. From his funny one-liners to his more profound musings on life, art and love.
Oscar Wilde’s quotes continue to inspire and entertain people around the world. His quotes remind us of the power of humor, the importance of being true to ourselves and the beauty of the human spirit.
His quotes continue to be widely quoted and shared to this day which is a great testament to the enduring legacy of this great Irish writer.