Booker T. Washington was an author, speaker and advisor to a number of Presidents of the United States of America. Booker T. Washington was an African-American leader who is fondly remembered for his tireless work for the betterment of his people.
When he was nine, Booker T. Washington and his family gained freedom under the Emancipation Proclamation. After working first in a salt furnace and later in a coal mine, Booker was determined to get a full education.
In 1872 he enrolled at the Hampton Normal and Agricultural Institute (now Hampton University), working as a janitor to help pay his expenses. He graduated in 1875 and returned to his home town of Malden, where for a number of years he taught children in a day school and adults at night.
Booker T. Washington later attained national prominence after his Atlanta Address of 1895, which attracted the attention of prominent politicians and members of the public. He became a popular spokesperson for African-American citizens.
Both President Theodore Roosevelt and his successor, President William Howard Taft, used him as an adviser. His inspirational words of wisdom inspire and motivate people to this day.
I hope that you will enjoy this collection of inspirational Booker T. Washington quotes.
17 Highly Inspirational Booker T. Washington Quotes
1. Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. – Booker T. Washington
2. If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else. – Booker T. Washington
3. Character, not circumstance, makes the person. – Booker T. Washington
4. The highest test of the civilization of any race is in its willingness to extend a helping hand to the less fortunate. – Booker T. Washington
5. Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way. – Booker T. Washington
6 of 17 Booker T Washington Quotes
Success always leaves footprints. – Booker T. Washington
7. I began learning long ago that those who are happiest are those who do the most for others. – Booker T. Washington
8. Associate yourself with people of good quality, for it is better to be alone than to be in bad company. – Booker T. Washington
9. Those who are happiest are those who do the most for others. – Booker T. Washington
10. We all should rise, above the clouds of ignorance, narrowness, and selfishness. – Booker T. Washington
11. There are two ways of exerting one’s strength; one is pushing down, the other is pulling up. – Booker T. Washington
12 of 17 Booker T Washington Quotes
You can’t hold a man down without staying down with him. – Booker T. Washington
13. No race can prosper till it learns that there is as much dignity in tilling a field as in writing a poem. – Booker T. Washington
14. The world cares very little what you or I know, but it does care a great deal about what you or I do. – Booker T. Washington
15. Nothing ever comes to one, that is worth having, except as a result of hard work. – Booker T. Washington
16. I shall allow no man to belittle my soul by making me hate him. – Booker T. Washington
17. Success waits patiently for anyone who has the determination and strength to seize it. – Booker T. Washington
I hope that you enjoyed these Booker T. Washington quotes.