Nelson Mandela was a South African civil rights leader, political prisoner, philanthropist and President of South Africa. He helped to end the country’s apartheid system of racial segregation and ushered in a peaceful transition to majority rule.
After his release from prison as a political prisoner, he was elected President of South Africa. Nelson Mandela introduced housing, education, and economic development initiatives designed to improve the living standards of the people of South Africa.
Widely regarded as an icon of democracy and social justice, Nelson Mandela received more than 250 honors, including the Nobel Peace Prize in 1993.
His amazing legacy still shines as a beacon of hope and as an inspirational reminder of the positive influence a person can be capable of. I hope that you will feel inspired and empowered by this wonderful collection of Nelson Mandela quotes.
25 Totally Inspiring Nelson Mandela Quotes
1. One of the most difficult things is not to change society, but to change yourself. – Nelson Mandela
2. A winner is a dreamer who never gives up. – Nelson Mandela
3. We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right. – Nelson Mandela
4. One of the things I learnt when I was negotiating was that until I changed myself, I could not change others. – Nelson Mandela
5. I like friends who have independent minds because they tend to make you see problems from all angles. – Nelson Mandela
6. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear. – Nelson Mandela
7. After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. – Nelson Mandela
8 of 25 Nelson Mandela Quotes
You will achieve more in this world through acts of mercy than you will through acts of retribution. – Nelson Mandela
9. Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again. – Nelson Mandela
10. If you want to make peace with your enemy, you have to work with your enemy. Then he becomes your partner. – Nelson Mandela
11. Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world. – Nelson Mandela
12. A nation should not be judged by how it treats its highest citizens but its lowest. – Nelson Mandela
13. When people are determined they can overcome anything. – Nelson Mandela
14. Real leaders must be ready to sacrifice all for the freedom of their people. – Nelson Mandela
15. Our people have the right to hope, the right to a future, the right to life itself. – Nelson Mandela
16 of 25 Nelson Mandela Quotes
Courage is not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. – Nelson Mandela
17. There is no passion to be found playing small – in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living. – Nelson Mandela
18. I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear. – Nelson Mandela
19. One cannot be prepared for something while secretly believing it will not happen. – Nelson Mandela
20. Never, never and never again shall it be that this beautiful land will again experience the oppression of one by another. – Nelson Mandela
21. To be free is not merely to cast off one’s chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others. – Nelson Mandela
22. May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears. – Nelson Mandela
23. We must strive to be moved by a generosity of spirit that will enable us to outgrow the hatred and conflicts of the past. – Nelson Mandela
24. What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others. – Nelson Mandela
25. As long as poverty, injustice and gross inequality persist in our world, none of us can truly rest. – Nelson Mandela
I hope that you enjoyed this collection of Nelson Mandela quotes.