Do you ever open a drawer or cupboard in your home to find them full of ‘stuff’ that you know you will never use again? Do you ever go to look for something only to find it nearly impossible to locate? Do you keep promising yourself that one day you will get around to throwing useless things away and finally get organized, but you just don’t know where and how to start?
I have put this list of 40 things that you can throw away today that will help to declutter your home. Decluttering your home will not only keep your home neat and tidy, decluttering your home can also help to reduce stress. According to Psychology Today, people tend to feel like life is out of control when they surround themselves with more things than they can manage.
Decluttering your home will make it easier in the future to find things that you need and actually have use for. Decluttering your home can also give you a great sense of achievement and will make you more house proud.
Once you actually start decluttering your home you might even find it quite fun and believe me, you won’t even miss these things from your home once they are gone.
1. Old Magazines/Newspapers
2. Old Makeup
3. Old Perfume/Aftershave
4. Old Toothbrushes
5. Old Towels
6. Scratched CD’s and DVDs
7. Extra Cords and Cables
8. Socks With Holes/Tights with Ladders
9. Single Socks
10. Clothes That You Will Never Wear
11. Clothes That No Longer Fit
12. Worn Out Shoes
13. Single Earrings
14. Broken Jewellery
15. Chipped Plates/Cups/Glasses
16. Old Appliance Manuals
17. Old Mail (shred it)
18. Take Out Menus
19. Broken Toys
20. Old Bed Sheets and Pillowcases
21. Expired Food
22. Old Used Batteries
23. Old Phones and Chargers
24. Unwanted Gifts
25. Keys That You No Longer Need
26. Recipe Books That You Will Never Use
27. Old TV Remotes
28. Old Make-Up Samples
29. Old Books That You Will Never Read
30. Plastic Carrier Bags
31. Electronic Gadgets That You Will Never Use
32. VHS tapes and Audio Cassettes (seriously)
33. Junk Mail
34. Old Candles That Cannot Be Used
35. Out Of Date Medicine/Health Supplements
36. Scraps Of Wrapping Paper
37. Games With Pieces Missing
38. Pens That Do Not Work (I had 3)
39. Anything In Your Home That You Don’t Like
40. Stuff Buried At The End of Your Handbag.
Go from room to room in your home and look in every drawer, press and cupboard. Look at every item and ask yourself, will I honestly ever use this again? If the answer is no, throw it out or give it away. Have two bags or boxes, one for items to throw away and the other for items that you can perhaps give to a charity.
Once you start decluttering your home it can be quite an uplifting and rewarding experience. Decluttering can give you a great sense of accomplishment by clearing out the old to make way for the things that you really want in your home. You will also have the added bonus of making it a lot easier to find things in the future.
What other items would you add to this list? Please comment below.