20 Inspirational Henry David Thoreau Quotes
Henry David Thoreau was an American essayist, minimalist, poet and philosopher. He is best known as the author of the book, ‘Walden’. His essay ‘Civil Disobedience’ influenced the political thoughts and actions of notable historical figures such as Leo Tolstoy, Mahatma Gandhi, and Martin Luther King Jr. Henry David Thoreau is one of the most quoted American authors of all time.
His mentor and close friend Ralph Waldo Emerson also has some wonderful quotes. Many of Henry David Thoreau’s most popular quotes come from “Walden” the book he wrote about living in the woods simply and independently.
I hope that you will enjoy the following wonderful collection of Henry David Thoreau quotes.
Inspirational Henry David Thoreau Quotes
1. The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it. – Henry David Thoreau
2. Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. – Henry David Thoreau
3. Every man is the builder of a temple called his body. – Henry David Thoreau
4. To be awake is to be alive. – Henry David Thoreau
5. Read the best books first, or you may not have a chance to read them at all. – Henry David Thoreau
6 of 20 Henry David Thoreau Quotes
Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. – Henry David Thoreau
7. Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influence of the earth. – Henry David Thoreau
8. Be true to your work, your word, and your friend. – Henry David Thoreau
9. Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads. – Henry David Thoreau
10. Do not lose hold of your dreams or aspirations. For if you do, you may still exist but you have ceased to live. – Henry David Thoreau
11. Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. – Henry David Thoreau
12. The world is but a canvas to our imagination. – Henry David Thoreau
13 of 20 Henry David Thoreau Quotes
The greatest compliment that was ever paid me was when one asked me what I thought, and attended to my answer. – Henry David Thoreau
14. To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts. – Henry David Thoreau
15. Never look back unless you are planning to go that way. – Henry David Thoreau
16. Books are the treasured wealth of the world and the fit inheritance of generations and nations. – Henry David Thoreau
17. There is no remedy for love but to love more. – Henry David Thoreau
18. Life isn’t about finding yourself; it’s about creating yourself. So live the life you imagined. – Henry David Thoreau
19. The most I can do for my friend is simply be his friend. – Henry David Thoreau
20. The question is not what you look at, but what you see. – Henry David Thoreau
Henry David Thoreau’s quotes offer a unique perspective on living a more meaningful and authentic life.
His words of wisdom on the importance of simplicity, self-reliance and standing up for one’s beliefs continues to resonate with readers to this day.
His literary works, particularly “Walden” have been a great source of inspiration for many who seek to live a life true to themselves and in harmony with nature.
Henry David Thoreau’s legacy continues to live on through his powerful words and the way they continue to inspire and challenge readers to think differently.