George Orwell, was an English novelist, essayist and journalist. He is probably best known for the novels Animal Farm and 1984. George Orwell was a man of strong opinions who addressed some of the major political movements of his times, including imperialism, fascism and communism.
In his popular novel 1984 which was written in 1948, Orwell gave it’s readers a dark glimpse into what would happen if a government controlled every detail of a person’s life even down to their own private thoughts. In his popular earlier novel Animal Farm, the book tells the story of a group of farm animals who rebel against their human farmer, hoping to create a society where the animals can be equal, free, and happy. Ultimately, the rebellion is betrayed, and the farm ends up in a state as bad as it was before.
I first read Animal Farm at a very young age while in school and I was enthralled by the story and its characters. I read this little novel again many years later and was once again enthralled by it.
I hope that you will enjoy this collection of thought provoking George Orwell quotes.
1. Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.
2. It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.
3. What can you do, thought Winston, against the lunatic who is more intelligent than yourself; who gives your arguments a fair hearing and simply persists in his lunacy?
4. Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.
5. If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face – for ever.
6. If you want to keep a secret, you must also hide it from yourself.
7. Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one’s mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.
8. Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious.
9. Nothing was your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull.
10. If you loved someone, you loved him, and when you had nothing else to give, you still gave him love.
11. Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing.
12. Big Brother is Watching You.
13. It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.
14. Of pain you could wish only one thing: that it should stop. Nothing in the world was so bad as physical pain. In the face of pain there are no heroes.
15. The object of terrorism is terrorism. The object of oppression is oppression. The object of torture is torture. The object of murder is murder. The object of power is power. Now do you begin to understand me?
16. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship.
17. Never again will you be capable of ordinary human feeling. Everything will be dead inside you. Never again will you be capable of love, or friendship, or joy of living, or laughter, or curiosity, or courage, or integrity. You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves.
18. There was truth and there was untruth, and if you clung to the truth even against the whole world, you were not mad.
19. We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it.
20. The masses never revolt of their own accord, and they never revolt merely because they are oppressed. Indeed, so long as they are not permitted to have standards of comparison, they never even become aware that they are oppressed.
21. Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible, because there will be no words in which to express it
Animal Farm Quotes
1. All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
2. Man is the only creature that consumes without producing. He does not give milk, he does not lay eggs, he is too weak to pull the plough, he cannot run fast enough to catch rabbits. Yet he is lord of all the animals. He sets them to work, he gives back to them the bare minimum that will prevent them from starving, and the rest he keeps for himself.
3. Four legs good, two legs bad.
4. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
5. Weak or strong, clever or simple, we are all brothers.
The Seven Commandments:
Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.
7. And remember also that in fighting against man we must not come to resemble him. Even when you have conquered him, do not adopt his vices.
8. Let’s face it: our lives are miserable, laborious, and short.
9. Man is the only real enemy we have. Remove Man from the scene, and the root cause of hunger and overwork is abolished forever.
10. This work was strictly voluntary, but any animal who absented himself from it would have his rations reduced by half.
11. If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
I hope that you enjoyed this collection of George Orwell Quotes.
25 Simon Sinek Quotes On Leadership
Simon Sinek is an internationally recognized author, speaker and business consultant. Simon is well known for his TED talk Start With Why which has become one of the most watched TED talks of all time, with over 40 million views. (more…)
25 Highly Motivational Eric Worre Quotes
Eric Worre is a leader in the network marketing profession for almost 30 years. He is the author of Go Pro : 7 Steps to Becoming a Network Marketing Professional which has sold over 2 million copies. Eric is also the most sought after speaker in Network Marketing, speaking to more than 200,000 people every year.
Eric Worre has also produced over 1,400 free videos on virtually every business topic. His videos have been viewed by millions of people from all over the world.
If you are interested in personal development and improving yourself, I think that you are really going to enjoy reading the following powerful collection of Eric Worre quotes.
1. The greatest benefit isn’t getting what you want. The greatest benefit is what you’ll need to become in order to get what you want. ― Eric Worre
2. In the future, you’re only going to be paid for performance. You won’t be paid for your time anymore. ― Eric Worre
3. The fastest way to grow your business is to grow yourself. Set a goal that will cause you to become more than you are today. ― Eric Worre
4. Have the courage to forgive yourself and stop letting the past define you. ― Eric Worre
5. Freedom is possible, but it isn’t free. ― Eric Worre
6. My world changed when I started focusing on the skills and made the commitment to practice, practice, practice, until I mastered them. ― Eric Worre
7. Be different. Be focused. Be determined. ― Eric Worre
8. Goal setting. Most people don’t ever give this more than a passing thought. You aren’t most people. ― Eric Worre
9. The most powerful force on earth is your imagination. ― Eric Worre
10. Look in your past for negative repeating patterns. Break the pattern and you’re free to move to the next level. ― Eric Worre
11. Growth and contribution. If you are growing as a person and you are contributing to the lives of others, you will be amazed at what can happen to your life. ― Eric Worre
12. There is nothing stopping you from succeeding but you. ― Eric Worre
13. Personal development without action becomes useless. Get out of your head and into action. ― Eric Worre
14. To achieve your dreams, you must break out of your current comfort zone. ― Eric Worre
15. Measure yourself only against your previous self. ― Eric Worre
16. If you’re looking for answers, the best way to start is by asking questions. Sounds simple yet so few people do it. ― Eric Worre
17. There will always be a good reason to quit and there will always be a good reason to keep going. Decide what kind of person you’re going to be. ― Eric Worre
18. Focus on the positive with everyone in your organization. Guide them, direct them, and encourage them. ― Eric Worre
19. You can’t live an above average life with a below average effort. ― Eric Worre
20. Too many people get trapped in repeating the same day over and over. ― Eric Worre
21. You’ll never get ahead if you don’t get started. There’s never been a better time to start than today. ― Eric Worre
22. I realized that to earn more, I needed to become more. ― Eric Worre
23. Don’t ever let anyone convince you that you can’t do something. ― Eric Worre
24. Don’t let average people make you feel guilty for pursuing your mission in life. ― Eric Worre
25. Once you believe, good things start to happen. ― Eric Worre
25 Empowering Barbara Corcoran Quotes
Barbara Corcoran is a successful businesswoman, investor, speaker, author and television personality. Barbara famously borrowed $1,000 in 1973 and quit her job as a waitress to start a tiny real estate company in New York City. She would later sell this business for $66 million. (more…)